I was making these grilled chicken and vegetable skewers when I came upon this amazing revelation that chicken thighs are just really, really greasy. I G**gled it and found out:
1 cup of chicken breasts has 5 g of fat, 231 calories, while 1 cup of chicken thighs has 15 grams of fat, 293 calories. The breast also contains more protein.
So my recommendation to you is to modify this recipe with chicken breast, or cut out a bunch of the olive oil used. It's not necessary (except for over the veggies).
The thighs took a bit longer to grill than mentioned in this recipe. But overall, it was a pretty simple one to throw together. Give it a whirl, with whatever vegetables you have left over in your crisper.
Total Time: 1 hr. 15 min.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 5), cut into 1 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for dressing
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick rounds
- 16 medium cipollini onions (about 10 ounces), peeled
- 16 medium cremini mushrooms (about 8 ounces), trimmed
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Soak ten 12-inch wooden skewers in water 30 minutes; drain.
Preheat grill over medium-high heat. Toss chicken with 1
tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Toss vegetables with
remaining 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Divide chicken
among 4 skewers. Skewer vegetables separately, using 2 skewers for each
Place onion skewers on grill; cook 5 minutes. Add chicken and
zucchini skewers; cook, turning occasionally, 5 minutes. Add mushroom
skewers; cook until chicken and vegetables are cooked through and
charred in places, about 10 minutes. Dress with lemon zest and juice,
oil, and parsley. Skewers can be assembled and refrigerated up to 3
hours ahead; let sit at room temperature 30 minutes before grilling.
Have a nice night!