Sunday, November 17, 2013

I cooked just about nothing this week....

And I hated it.

I had a wonderfully planned out menu for this past week...plotting speedy meals on my busy nights and leaving one or two more taxing recipes for my freer nights. I even thought out far enough to make sure I was using up all of the ingredients that I bought for the week...no half-used onions sitting in the fridge until they have no taste.

But then a shoot came up. Luckily it was local, but by the time I got home at 10pm every night, all I wanted was a slice of pizza or a handful of popcorn and my bed.

Come Friday, when my days cleared up a bit, I realized I had a pork tenderloin that I left in the fridge that was ABOUT to go bad...if I left it for a few more days. As much as I hate eating the same base (chicken, beef, pork, pasta) two nights in a row, I hate wasting food and money even more.

So I quickly threw together these two recipes:

Pork tacos w/ mango slaw
Spiced pork tenderloin w/ sauteed apples


The pork tacos were totally BF friendly. He gobbled them up.

I was a bigger fan of the spiced pork tenderloin. The mix of coriander, cinnamon, and nutmeg on the pork sounds strange, but added a perfect sweetness to the meat. And the apples with shallots were a nice side. I added these potatoes w/ dill as a low-hassle side dish to the pork tenderloin. I got the potatoes in the oven first, and let them bake while I dealt with the pork. Both came out of the oven at approximately the same time for a well-rounded dinner.


And I took no photos. Because I'm tired and lazy. So I leave you with these:



My two kitchen assistants, wiped out after worrying about the Chicago storms all day.

Are you ever forced to abandon your meticulously anal weekly menu when things like work and life pop up? Do you hate it as much as I do? I'm going to be playing catch-up to get through my recipes for the week. Womp womp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Tequila?