Thursday, January 24, 2013

Guess what!?!?!? Big girl-life moment had last weekend...



I got my first facial! I don't know why I've never had one before, I just never thought about it.

But lately I've been trying to overhaul and hone down my skincare routine, figure out what products I need, what works, what will give me a great complexion.

I've always been a big Neutrogena person, but suddenly all of my adolescent Neutrogena buys seemed to dry out my skin. I tried a few other drugstore products, and while on my Lush kick I tried Herbalism, but that's not strong enough for me, I started breaking out like crazy. Thank god I got this facial ASAP, because 1. I needed it, and 2. I learned a lot.

I went to DermaSpa and Chrissy's Vitamin-C facial was great! My skin felt so clean and smooth afterwards, and she was very forthcoming with recommendations, talked me through my daily routine and what I could improve on...

1. Exfoliate 2-3 times per week. I used to exfoliate every day, because I struggle with blackheads, and exfoliation gets rid of blackheads, right? Big NO! Apparently my overexfoliation screwed up my natural oil-making process, and my skin has been over-producing because it thinks it's being starved.

2. Salicylic Acid is my friend. I always hear, and kind of believe that organic products are best for your skin, but it sounds like I need a salicylic acid to break through the oils and dirt on my skin. That's one thing I feel like I wasn't achieving with Lush's Herbalism. It didn't get everything off. So I picked up a face wash that Chrissy recommended. And salicylic acid isn't BAD for me, right? At the end of the day, I want to look good, so bring on the acid!

3. Sunscreen! I've never really thought about wearing sunscreen on a daily basis. But Chrissy stressed this more than anything else. Sun will age your skin more than anything else. I'm going to pick up an SPF 30 today to mix with my current facial moisturizer and I suggest you do the same!

4.  It's never too early to start using anti-aging products. With young, healthy skin, I may not NEED any anti-aging products, they wouldn't hurt to start using, for maintenance, at least.

All of these tips sound so obvious, but when look at all of those skincare products out there, so many choices, it's just a bit overwhelming.

I've heard good things about Mario Badescu products, so I'm going to pick up a few of those products.

Any recommendations on your end? And do you usually stick to one brand with your skincare, or will you use cleanser, moisturizer, toners, and serums from several different brands?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Tequila?